Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Linux 1.01

Roman numerals just weren't going to work out. I'm still a newbie though, so it could take a while to get to 2.0. I'm spending my afternoons down in Clint's lab in B13 of the JEB. Mostly it's been a couple of weeks of re-installing Ubuntu and various video cards trying to find something that will work. The cool-looking 'Unity' desktop is a bit of a clunker, and when it gets right down to it, the gui sys-admin tools are all useless nerfed crap and a damned waste of disc space. I suppose it's that way on purpose to look like a complete gui, while shielding the os from the modern end-user. They just figure the real geeks will just get in there and destroy the OS from the command line like they always used to and then just reinstall it and try again.
I've got LinuxMint 11 on my home computer, and Ubuntu 11.10 in the lab, neither computer seems to be able to use nVidia's proprietary drivers without hosing the display. Which is funny, or would be if it were happening to someone else. Linux is a monster, and I have to crawl into its guts, figure out how it works, and make it do what I want.
I've pretty much given up loading Windows during the week. I don't really need it for anything but the occasional sortee into Borderlands. Gotta figure out how to run Borderlands under Linux. Oh wait, my nVidia drivers don't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment