Monday, October 17, 2011

Linux I

So part of me doing what I came here for involves spending a lot of time cuddling rather promiscuously with a lot of flavours of Linux. Getting them to reveal their secrets, finding out what makes them tick, exploring their hidden files, that kind of thing. I'm sort of going steady with LinuxMint11 at home, but at the lab there's OpenSuse, Fedora, and that exotic minx Ubuntu. Ubuntu 11.10 in particular is getting all my attention lately as I've been trying to get her to give me her best 3D Unity desktop experience, but after three hours of wrestling with her I've come to the conclusion that I just don't have the hardware that she needs to really let loose. My computers' functional but aging nVidia 7600 GS with 256Mb just isn't enough to get her going. I'm going to have to let this new hotness go off to greener pastures and settle for an OS that's a little more mature, a little less demanding, and that doesn't mind dealing with my older hardware.

No comments:

Post a Comment